Monday, August 2, 2010

Kishore Kumar: FAQs & Facts

Some tell-tale quotes and comments from Kishore himself, his family members and friends

Was Kishore Kumar mad?
"He was very childlike and innocent. There was always a sense of wonder about him," says Preeti Ganguly, Kishore's niece and Ashok Kumar's daughter. "I'm mad, true. But only about one thing. Horror movies. I love spooks. They are a friendly fearsome lot. Very nice people, actually, if you get to know them. Not like these industry chaps out here…" ~ Kishore Kumar


Was Kishore a money maniac?
"Like Dad, Kaka was quite paranoid about money, and about not being paid. But Kaka's eccentricities made him do funny things. ... At another time when he discovered his dues hadn't been fully paid, Kaka landed up for shooting with make-up on only one side of his face. No one really noticed, until all the lights were switched on. "What's this?" asked the shocked director. Kaka nonchalently replied, "Aadha paisa to aadha make-up. Pura paisa to pura make-up."...Occasionally when he'd come home, I would ask him, "Kaka, why don't you act anymore? You're so brilliant." He'd reply firmly. "No. I'll never act for other producers again." He hated to collect payment from people, to chase them for his money..." ~ Preeti Ganguly

Was Kishore a glutton?
"Kaka was also very fond of food, especially of mangsher jhol, a thin Bengali-style mutton curry, with maida puris (handmade bread). He loved the way Mummy cooked it, and she'd prepare it for him every time he came here. When he came here after Mummy died, I had it especially made for him. He was very touched and said, "You remembered, Pallu." He also loved tiny bits of gobi (cauliflower). He'd say, "Cover me with mounds of fried gobi. I'll lie under them and keep eating the gobi. Even after I've finished it all, I'm sure I won't be satisfied!"" ~ Preeti Ganguly

 What was the secret of Kishore Kumar, the singer?
"Kishore's voice hits the mike, straight, at its most sensitive point — and that's the secret of his success as a singer without peer!" ~ Ashok Kumar


When did musician Salil Chowdhury recognize Kishore's talent?

"Not until the vocal results Kishore gave me, some 18 years later, in Gulzar's Mere Apne, with Koi hota jis ko apna hum apna keh lete yaaron, did I get a real idea of how totally I had misjudged the depth and dimension of the lad as a singer." ~ Salil Chowdhury

Why did RD Burman compositions make the best Kishore songs?
"Kishore wants this tape in advance, because he doesn't just sing a song; he feels it; savours it; experiences it; before entering the music room to record it…My best songs for Kishore have been done this way…So strikingly different, in fact, was the result when I managed to send the tape to Kishore, two days in advance, that I could, here, offhand reel off the songs done this way, for me, by this my pet performer." ~ R D Burman

Who was Kishore's favourite actor?
"I am a crazy fan of Topol's. When we were in London, I saw an advertisement of Fiddler on the Roof in the drama section of a newspaper. I thought they'd made a mistake. When I checked, I was told that there WAS a stage show of "Fiddler...". I can't tell you how thrilled I was. I had seen the film at least a hundred times and now I had an opportunity to see my favourite actor perform right in front of me. Would you believe it, I attended all the four consecutive shows. I went backstage to introduce myself to Topol and even took his autograph. I still remember the date - September 9, 1983. He presented me a copy of his autobiography, Topol by Topol, and I presented him the records and cassettes of my songs. In 1960, he was only 48-49 but still he played the old man so beautifully. I think nobody, just nobody, can perform the way Topol did in Fiddler. He actually sings through the whole film. Neither Dilip Kumar nor Ashok Kumar can match him." ~ Kishore Kumar

What was Kishore favourite place?
"I am determined to get out of this futile rat race and live as I've always wanted to. In my native Khandwa, the land of my forefathers. Who wants to die in this ugly city?" ~ Kishore Kumar

No comments:

Post a Comment